Turning through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke disappointment and aggravation when you will no longer remember the folks, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only preserve images and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your important remembrances.
Putting together a scrapbooking can seem to be just like a daunting project, in particular when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get going, purchase adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program line of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Coordinate your images. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the behind of the photos with a photography labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Choose the images that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about three pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Sketch how you desire your scrapbook page elements to be arranged and use short-term glue so you may move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that match the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your images to get out superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the images so they stand out on the page.
* Decorate the page. Add life to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you want your pictures to be the key focus.
* Write journal entries. This really is the main scrapbooking design element since it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which may be neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will assist you began, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks who are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Anaheim California but it may be very costly. The good news is there are less expensive ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.