Flipping through old images can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke disappointment and frustration when you no longer remember the folks, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only protect photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your treasured memories.
Putting together a scrapbook may seem just like a difficult project, particularly when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get started, purchase adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program brand of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Set up your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab partitioning. Write all the important details on the back of the photographs with a picture labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Choose the images that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about three pictures per single page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you desire your scrapbook page elements to be structured and use short-term glue so you may move things around. Also, get coordinating colors that match the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photos to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the page.
* Accentuate the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write diary entries. This really is the most important scrapbook component as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, that can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will assist you in starting out, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some people who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Bass Lake California but it may be very expensive. Fortunately there are affordable ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.