Flicking through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke sad feelings and frustration when you no longer remember the people, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your precious memories.
Assembling together a scrapbooking could seem to be just like a daunting project, specially when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To begin with, purchase adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program type of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Set up your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the behind of the images with an image labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Choose the pictures that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should aim to have about three pictures per page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your page elements to be organized and use momentary adhesive so you could move things around. Also, get coordinating colors that complement the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your images to eliminate superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the images so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Embellish the page. Add life to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your images to be the main focus.
* Write journal entries. This is the most important scrapbooking design element because it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which can be neglected with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will assist you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some people that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Beverly Hills California but it can be very expensive. The good news is there are cheaper ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.