Flipping through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke sad feelings and aggravation when you will no longer remember the folks, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your precious memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook may seem to be just like a daunting project, in particular when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers these tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get started, buy adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System type of pens. Always buy products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Set up your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, yr or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the back of the photos with a photography labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Select the pictures that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should target to have about three pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Sketch how you desire your page elements to be organized and use short-term adhesive so you could move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your images to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the images so they stand out on the page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you desire your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write journal entries. This really is the most important scrapbook aspect because it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, that can be neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will help you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some individuals that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Carlsbad California but it can be very expensive. The good news is there are affordable ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.