Flipping through old photographs can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also can evoke sad feelings and aggravation when you will no longer remember the people, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only maintain photos and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your valuable memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook could seem like a daunting project, especially when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get going, buy adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System line of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Organize your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab partitioning. Write all the important details on the back of the photos with a picture labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Select the pictures that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should aim to have about 3 pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colours. Sketch how you want your scrapbook page elements to be structured and use short-term glue so you may move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that go with the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photos to eliminate superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the page.
* Decorate the page. Add life to the page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your pictures to be the primary focus.
* Write diary entries. This is certainly the most crucial scrapbooking element because it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which may be neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, write bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you get started, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some individuals who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Cedar Ridge California but it can be very costly. Fortunately there are less expensive ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.