Flipping through old images can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke disappointment and aggravation when you no longer remember the people, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only preserve photos and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your important remembrances.
Putting together a scrapbook can seem like a daunting project, specially when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get started, buy adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System type of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Organize your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the behind of the images with a picture labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the pictures that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about 3 pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your page elements to be organized and use temporary adhesive so you could move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that match the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your photographs to get out superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the images so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Accentuate the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your pictures to be the primary focus.
* Write journal entries. This is the most important scrapbooking design component because it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, that can be overlooked with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you get started, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some people that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Covina California but it may be very costly. The good news is there are less expensive ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.