Flipping through old photos can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke sad feelings and aggravation when you no longer remember the folks, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only preserve images and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your valuable memories.
Assembling together a scrapbooking may seem just like a challenging project, especially when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get going, buy adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program line of pens. Always buy products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Organize your images. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab partitioning. Write all the important details on the behind of the photographs with a photography labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Select the images that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about three pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your page elements to be structured and use short-term glue so you may move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that complement the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photos to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Accentuate the page. Add fire to the page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you desire your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write journal entries. This is certainly the most crucial scrapbook element since it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing simple, put bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will assist you get started, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some folks that are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Elk Grove California but it can be very costly. Fortunately there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.