Flicking through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also can evoke sad feelings and aggravation when you will no longer remember the people, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your precious remembrances.
Putting together a scrapbooking could seem to be like a daunting project, especially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To begin with, purchase adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program brand of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the back of the photos with a picture labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the images that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should aim to have about three pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your scrapbook page elements to be structured and use temporary glue so you can move things around. Also, choose coordinating colors that match the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your photographs to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the images so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Accentuate the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you desire your pictures to be the key focus.
* Write journal entries. This is certainly the most important scrapbook factor because it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which may be neglected with time. To make journal writing simple, put bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you began, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some individuals that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Farmersville California but it can be very costly. The good news is there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.