Flipping through old images can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke disappointment and aggravation when you no longer remember the folks, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only preserve photos and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your treasured memories.
Putting together a scrapbooking may seem to be just like a daunting project, in particular when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To begin with, purchase adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program brand of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab partitioning. Write all the important details on the back of the photographs with a photography labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the images that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about three pictures per single page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you desire your page elements to be structured and use temporary glue so you may move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your images to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Decorate the page. Add life to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you want your images to be the main focus.
* Write diary entries. This really is the most crucial scrapbook aspect since it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which is often neglected with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you began, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some people who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Ferndale California but it can be very costly. The good news is there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.