Turning through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also can evoke sad feelings and aggravation when you no longer remember the people, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only protect images and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your valuable remembrances.
Putting together a scrapbook could appear like a daunting project, in particular when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get started, buy adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System type of pens. Always purchase stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, yr or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the behind of the photos with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the pictures that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about 3 pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colours. Drew how you desire your page elements to be structured and use temporary glue so you may move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photos to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Accentuate the page. Add life to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your images to be the primary focus.
* Write journal entries. This is certainly the main scrapbook component because it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which can be neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will help you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some individuals who are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Glendale California but it may be very expensive. Fortunately there are affordable ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.