Turning through old photographs can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also may evoke disappointment and frustration when you no longer remember the folks, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only maintain images and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your precious remembrances.
Assembling together a scrapbook may seem like a daunting project, especially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get going, purchase adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program line of pens. Always purchase stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photography box with tab partitioning. Write all the important details on the behind of the photos with a photography labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Select the pictures that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should target to have about three pictures per single page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Sketch how you want your page elements to be organized and use temporary glue so you may move things around. Also, get coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your photographs to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Decorate the page. Add fire to the page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your images to be the primary focus.
* Write journal entries. This is the most important scrapbook element since it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which can be overlooked with time. To make journal writing simple, put bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will assist you in starting out, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some folks who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Inyokern California but it may be very expensive. Fortunately there are affordable ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.