Flipping through old images can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke disappointment and aggravation when you no longer remember the people, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only preserve photos and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your treasured remembrances.
Putting together a scrapbook may seem like a daunting project, particularly when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get started, purchase adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System type of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the back of the images with a picture labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the pictures that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should target to have about 3 pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colours. Drew how you want your scrapbook page elements to be structured and use temporary adhesive so you could move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your photos to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your images to be the primary focus.
* Write diary entries. This is the most important scrapbooking aspect because it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which may be neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will help you get started, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some individuals who are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in La Jolla California but it can be very expensive. The good news is there are affordable ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.