Flicking through old photographs can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke sad feelings and frustration when you no longer remember the people, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only maintain photos and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your important memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook can seem like a difficult project, specially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To begin with, buy adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System line of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Organize your images. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, yr or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the vital details on the back of the images with a photo labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Select the images that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colours. Sketch how you want your page elements to be arranged and use short-term adhesive so you can move things around. Also, choose coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photos to eliminate superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the images so they stand out on the page.
* Accentuate the page. Add life to the page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you desire your images to be the primary focus.
* Write diary entries. This really is the main scrapbook aspect as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which is often neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will help you get started, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some people that are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Lakewood California but it can be very costly. The good news is there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.