Flicking through old photographs can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also may evoke disappointment and frustration when you no longer remember the people, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only maintain images and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your treasured remembrances.
Assembling together a scrapbooking could seem just like a daunting project, especially when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To begin with, purchase adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System line of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the vital details on the behind of the images with a picture labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the pictures that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should aim to have about 3 pictures per single page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Sketch how you want your scrapbook page elements to be organized and use short-term adhesive so you may move things around. Also, choose coordinating colors that complement the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your photos to get out superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Embellish the page. Add life to the page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you desire your images to be the primary focus.
* Write journal entries. This is certainly the most important scrapbook element as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which may be overlooked with time. To make journal writing easy, write bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will help you get started, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some individuals that are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Laton California but it can be very expensive. Fortunately there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.