Turning through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke disappointment and aggravation when you no longer remember the folks, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only maintain photos and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your precious memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook can seem to be just like a daunting project, particularly when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get going, purchase adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System brand of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Organize your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photography box with tab dividers. Write all the vital details on the behind of the images with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the pictures that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your page elements to be structured and use momentary adhesive so you could move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that go with the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photos to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Accentuate the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you desire your images to be the primary focus.
* Write journal entries. This is the most crucial scrapbooking design element as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which may be neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will help you began, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some individuals who are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Long Beach California but it may be very costly. The good news is there are cheaper ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.