Flipping through old photographs can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also may evoke disappointment and aggravation when you will no longer remember the folks, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only maintain images and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your valuable memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook could seem just like a daunting project, particularly when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get started, buy adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program type of pens. Always buy products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Coordinate your images. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the vital details on the back of the photographs with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the pictures that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about three pictures per page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colours. Sketch how you want your scrapbook page elements to be structured and use temporary adhesive so you may move things around. Also, get coordinating colors that go with the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your photos to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you desire your images to be the key focus.
* Write diary entries. This really is the main scrapbook aspect as it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which can be neglected with time. To make journal writing simple, put bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you in starting out, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some folks that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Los Angeles California but it can be very expensive. Fortunately there are cheaper ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.