Flicking through old images can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also may evoke disappointment and disappointment when you no longer remember the folks, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your valuable remembrances.
Assembling together a scrapbook can appear like a challenging project, especially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To begin with, buy adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System line of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Set up your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the back of the photos with a picture labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Select the pictures that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about three pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Sketch how you want your page elements to be arranged and use non permanent glue so you could move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that go with the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your images to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the page.
* Accentuate the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write diary entries. This really is the main scrapbook factor because it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, that can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing easy, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will assist you began, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some people who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Los Angeles California but it may be very costly. The good news is there are affordable ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.