Flicking through old photos can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also may evoke disappointment and aggravation when you no longer remember the folks, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only protect photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your treasured memories.
Putting together a scrapbook may seem like a daunting project, in particular when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To begin with, purchase adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program type of pens. Always buy products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the back of the images with a photo labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Select the images that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about three pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you desire your page elements to be organized and use momentary adhesive so you may move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that go with the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your photographs to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the images so they stand out on the page.
* Decorate the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your pictures to be the key focus.
* Write journal entries. This is the most crucial scrapbook aspect because it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which may be overlooked with time. To make journal writing easy, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will help you get started, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some people that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Martinez California but it can be very expensive. The good news is there are affordable ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.