Turning through old images can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also can evoke disappointment and aggravation when you will no longer remember the folks, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only maintain photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your valuable memories.
Putting together a scrapbooking can seem just like a difficult project, in particular when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get started, buy adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System brand of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Set up your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, yr or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab dividers. Write all the vital details on the back of the images with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the images that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should aim to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colours. Drew how you want your page elements to be arranged and use short-term glue so you could move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that complement the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your images to eliminate superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Accentuate the page. Add fire to the page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your images to be the main focus.
* Write journal entries. This really is the most important scrapbooking component as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you in starting out, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some people who are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Milpitas California but it can be very expensive. Fortunately there are less expensive ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.