Flipping through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also can evoke sad feelings and aggravation when you will no longer remember the people, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your treasured memories.
Assembling together a scrapbooking may seem just like a challenging project, especially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get going, purchase adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System type of pens. Always buy products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Organize your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the behind of the photographs with a photography labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Choose the images that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should target to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your page elements to be arranged and use short-term glue so you could move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that match the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your photos to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Accentuate the page. Add life to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you want your images to be the primary focus.
* Write diary entries. This is the most important scrapbook component because it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which may be forgotten with time. To make journal writing easy, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will assist you began, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some people who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Mountain View California but it may be very costly. The good news is there are affordable ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.