Flicking through old photographs can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke disappointment and aggravation when you no longer remember the people, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your treasured remembrances.
Assembling together a scrapbook may seem like a challenging project, specially when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To begin with, purchase adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program brand of pens. Always purchase stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Coordinate your images. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the vital details on the behind of the images with a picture labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the images that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should aim to have about 3 pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Sketch how you desire your page elements to be arranged and use non permanent adhesive so you can move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that go with the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your photos to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the page.
* Accentuate the page. Add life to the page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write diary entries. This is certainly the most important scrapbooking aspect because it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, that can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will help you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some individuals that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in New Almaden California but it can be very expensive. The good news is there are affordable ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.