Turning through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke disappointment and frustration when you will no longer remember the folks, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only protect images and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your valuable memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook can appear like a daunting project, especially when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get started, buy adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System type of pens. Always buy products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Organize your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab partitioning. Write all the important details on the behind of the images with an image labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Choose the pictures that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colours. Drew how you want your scrapbook page elements to be arranged and use short-term glue so you could move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that complement the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your images to get out superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Accentuate the page. Add life to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your pictures to be the key focus.
* Write diary entries. This is certainly the main scrapbooking design component because it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which may be forgotten with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will help you get started, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some individuals that are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Newport Coast California but it may be very expensive. Fortunately there are affordable ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.