Flipping through old images can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke disappointment and aggravation when you will no longer remember the folks, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only preserve photos and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your precious memories.
Putting together a scrapbooking may seem like a difficult project, in particular when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get going, buy adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program brand of pens. Always buy products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Coordinate your images. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab dividers. Write all the vital details on the behind of the photographs with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the images that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should target to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your scrapbook page elements to be structured and use short-term adhesive so you may move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that go with the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photographs to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your images to be the key focus.
* Write diary entries. This is the most important scrapbooking aspect since it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, that can be overlooked with time. To make journal writing easy, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will assist you began, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some people who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Orange California but it may be very costly. Fortunately there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.