Flicking through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke sad feelings and disappointment when you no longer remember the people, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your precious memories.
Assembling together a scrapbooking may appear like a daunting project, particularly when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get started, purchase adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System line of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Organize your images. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, yr or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the vital details on the back of the photographs with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the images that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should target to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colours. Drew how you want your scrapbook page elements to be organized and use momentary glue so you can move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that match the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your images to eliminate superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Decorate the page. Add life to the page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you desire your pictures to be the primary focus.
* Write diary entries. This is certainly the most crucial scrapbooking aspect as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, that can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will help you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some people who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Pacoima California but it can be very costly. Fortunately there are affordable ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.