Flipping through old photographs can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also can evoke disappointment and aggravation when you no longer remember the people, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only protect photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your important remembrances.
Assembling together a scrapbook may seem just like a challenging project, particularly when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get started, buy adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System line of pens. Always purchase stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Organize your images. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the back of the images with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the images that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should aim to have about three pictures per single page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Sketch how you want your scrapbook page elements to be organized and use non permanent adhesive so you can move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that complement the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your photos to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the page.
* Decorate the page. Add life to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your pictures to be the primary focus.
* Write journal entries. This is the most important scrapbooking element as it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which may be overlooked with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will help you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Pasadena California but it may be very costly. The good news is there are affordable ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.