Flicking through old images can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke disappointment and aggravation when you will no longer remember the folks, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only protect images and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your treasured memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook can appear like a difficult project, especially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To begin with, buy adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System line of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, yr or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab dividers. Write all the vital details on the behind of the photos with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the images that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should aim to have about three pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Sketch how you desire your scrapbook page elements to be organized and use non permanent adhesive so you may move things around. Also, get coordinating colors that match the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photographs to get out superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write diary entries. This really is the main scrapbook aspect as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing easy, write bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you began, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some people who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Pasadena California but it may be very costly. Fortunately there are cheaper ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.