Flicking through old photos can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also may evoke sad feelings and aggravation when you will no longer remember the people, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your valuable remembrances.
Putting together a scrapbook may seem to be just like a difficult project, in particular when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To begin with, purchase adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program line of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Organize your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the behind of the photos with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the pictures that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should aim to have about 3 pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you desire your page elements to be organized and use short-term adhesive so you may move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that go with the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photographs to get out superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write journal entries. This is certainly the most important scrapbook component since it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which can be neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will assist you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Sacramento California but it can be very costly. The good news is there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.