Flicking through old photographs can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke sad feelings and aggravation when you no longer remember the folks, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your treasured remembrances.
Assembling together a scrapbook may seem just like a daunting project, especially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get started, purchase adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System brand of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the back of the photos with a picture labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the images that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you desire your page elements to be organized and use non permanent adhesive so you may move things around. Also, get coordinating colors that complement the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your images to eliminate superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Decorate the page. Add life to the scrapbook page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your images to be the primary focus.
* Write journal entries. This is the main scrapbook element because it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which is often neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will assist you in starting out, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some folks who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Sacramento California but it may be very expensive. Fortunately there are less expensive ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.