Flipping through old photos can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke disappointment and aggravation when you no longer remember the people, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only protect photos and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your valuable memories.
Putting together a scrapbooking may seem to be like a challenging project, specially when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To begin with, buy adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program type of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Coordinate your images. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photography box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the behind of the photos with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the pictures that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should aim to have about three pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colours. Drew how you want your scrapbook page elements to be arranged and use temporary adhesive so you can move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that go with the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your photographs to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the images so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Embellish the page. Add life to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you want your images to be the key focus.
* Write diary entries. This is the main scrapbook component as it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, that can be overlooked with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will assist you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Sacramento California but it may be very costly. The good news is there are less expensive ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.