Turning through old photographs can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke disappointment and disappointment when you will no longer remember the folks, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only protect photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your treasured remembrances.
Putting together a scrapbooking could seem just like a difficult project, specially when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get going, buy adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System line of pens. Always buy products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the back of the photographs with a picture labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the pictures that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should target to have about three pictures per page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Sketch how you desire your page elements to be structured and use short-term adhesive so you may move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that go with the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photographs to eliminate superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Embellish the page. Add life to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your images to be the main focus.
* Write journal entries. This is certainly the main scrapbooking design factor since it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which is often forgotten with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will assist you in starting out, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some individuals who are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Sacramento California but it may be very costly. The good news is there are less expensive ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.