Turning through old photos can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke disappointment and frustration when you will no longer remember the folks, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only preserve photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your important memories.
Putting together a scrapbook can seem to be just like a daunting project, particularly when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To begin with, purchase adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program line of pens. Always purchase stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Coordinate your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the back of the images with a photography labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the pictures that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should aim to have about three pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colours. Drew how you want your scrapbook page elements to be arranged and use non permanent glue so you can move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your photos to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Accentuate the page. Add life to the page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write diary entries. This is certainly the most important scrapbook element as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, that can be neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in San Diego California but it may be very costly. Fortunately there are less expensive ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.