Flipping through old photographs can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also may evoke disappointment and disappointment when you no longer remember the people, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks allow you to not only preserve images and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your precious remembrances.
Putting together a scrapbooking can seem like a daunting project, in particular when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get going, buy adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System line of pens. Always purchase stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Set up your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, yr or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the behind of the images with a picture labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the pictures that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should target to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your scrapbook page elements to be arranged and use temporary glue so you could move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that match the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your images to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the images so they stand out on the page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your pictures to be the primary focus.
* Write diary entries. This is certainly the most important scrapbook element since it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will assist you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks that are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in San Diego California but it can be very costly. The good news is there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.