Flicking through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke sad feelings and disappointment when you no longer remember the people, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only protect photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your precious memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook can appear just like a daunting project, particularly when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get started, purchase adhesive, a paper trimmer, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program line of pens. Always buy products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Set up your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, yr or people, and store in an acid-free photo box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the behind of the images with a picture labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Select the pictures that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should aim to have about 3 pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colours. Sketch how you want your scrapbook page elements to be organized and use short-term glue so you could move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that match the hues in your images.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your photos to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write diary entries. This is the most important scrapbooking design element since it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, that can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you get started, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in San Jacinto California but it may be very expensive. The good news is there are affordable ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.