Flicking through old photographs can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also can evoke disappointment and aggravation when you no longer remember the people, details and feelings behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only preserve photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your treasured remembrances.
Putting together a scrapbook may seem like a daunting project, in particular when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get going, buy adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System brand of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Set up your pictures. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the behind of the photographs with a picture labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Choose the pictures that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should aim to have about three pictures per page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colours. Drew how you desire your scrapbook page elements to be arranged and use temporary glue so you could move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that match the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your images to get out superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your images to be the key focus.
* Write diary entries. This is certainly the most crucial scrapbook aspect as it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which is often overlooked with time. To make journal writing easy, write bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will help you get started, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some individuals that are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in San Jose California but it may be very expensive. Fortunately there are less expensive ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.