Flipping through old images can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke disappointment and frustration when you no longer remember the people, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only protect photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your important remembrances.
Assembling together a scrapbook may seem like a difficult project, especially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photos. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get started, purchase adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program line of pens. Always purchase stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Organize your images. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab partitioning. Write all the important details on the behind of the images with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the pictures that best illustrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about 3 pictures per single page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colours. Sketch how you desire your scrapbook page elements to be structured and use temporary adhesive so you can move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that match the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photographs to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Accentuate the page. Add life to the page using stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you want your pictures to be the main focus.
* Write journal entries. This is the most crucial scrapbook aspect as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which may be neglected with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the primary events.
* Take a class. Although these tips will help you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Sausalito California but it can be very costly. The good news is there are less expensive ways to master the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.