Flicking through old photos can instill feelings of reminiscence, but it also can evoke disappointment and frustration when you no longer remember the people, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only maintain photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your precious memories.
Assembling together a scrapbooking can seem to be like a daunting project, in particular when you first look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education director at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get going, buy adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program type of pens. Always purchase products with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Set up your images. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the back of the photographs with a picture labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Select the pictures that best demonstrate the theme of your page. Store the others. A newbie should aim to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you desire your scrapbook page elements to be arranged and use momentary adhesive so you could move stuff around. Also, get coordinating colors that go with the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the images. Crop your photographs to eliminate superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a 1/4-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photographs so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Embellish the page. Add fire to the page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start off simple; you want your images to be the key focus.
* Write journal entries. This really is the most important scrapbook aspect because it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will help you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Skyforest California but it may be very costly. Fortunately there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.