Flipping through old photographs can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also can evoke disappointment and aggravation when you will no longer remember the people, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only preserve photographs and memorabilia, but to capture the emotions behind your valuable memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook may seem like a challenging project, specially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, gives the following tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get going, buy adhesive, a paper clipper, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory System type of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to ensure the best quality.
* Coordinate your images. Sort your images by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free image box with tab partitioning. Write all the vital details on the behind of the photos with an image labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Choose the pictures that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about 3 pictures per page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your scrapbook page elements to be structured and use non permanent glue so you can move stuff around. Also, choose coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the photos. Crop your photos to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Decorate the page. Add life to the page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you desire your images to be the primary focus.
* Write diary entries. This is the most crucial scrapbook element as it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, that can be forgotten with time. To make journal writing simple, write bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will assist you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks that are interested in scrapbooking get their training from scrapbooking classes in Sun Valley California but it may be very expensive. Fortunately there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.