Flicking through old photos can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also can evoke disappointment and frustration when you no longer remember the people, details and thoughts behind them.
Scrapbooks enable you to not only preserve photos and memorabilia, but to capture the feelings behind your treasured memories.
Assembling together a scrapbook could seem to be like a daunting project, especially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted photographs. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers these tips.
* Purchase the basic tools. To get going, purchase adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand adhesive is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program line of pens. Always purchase stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to make sure the best quality.
* Organize your images. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free photography box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the behind of the photos with a photo labeling pen.
* Select the pictures. Select the images that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should aim to have about three pictures per single page.
* Sketch the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you desire your page elements to be organized and use non permanent adhesive so you can move things around. Also, choose coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your photographs to get out superfluous detail. Then create a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the scrapbook page.
* Accentuate the page. Add fire to the page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Begin simple; you want your images to be the key focus.
* Write diary entries. This is certainly the main scrapbooking design factor since it conveys the details and feelings about that moment, which may be neglected with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the key events.
* Take a class. Although these guidelines will assist you in starting out, take classes to really mature your skills.
Some individuals that are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Truckee California but it can be very costly. Fortunately there are cheaper ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking in CA.