Turning through old images can instill feelings of nostalgia, but it also may evoke disappointment and frustration when you no longer remember the folks, details and emotions behind them.
Scrapbooks permit you to not only preserve images and memorabilia, but to capture the thoughts behind your important remembrances.
Assembling together a scrapbook may seem just like a challenging project, specially when first you look at the boxes and piles of unsorted images. Joy Macdonell, education overseer at EK Success, a scrapbooking company, offers these tips.
* Buy the basic tools. To get going, purchase adhesive, a paper thinner, scissors, pens, paper and albums. Herma brand glue is recommended, as is the Zig Memory Program brand of pens. Always buy stuff with the keywords “acid-free, ” “photo-safe” and “lignin-free” to be sure the best quality.
* Organize your pictures. Sort your pictures by theme, occasion, year or people, and store in an acid-free picture box with tab dividers. Write all the important details on the behind of the photos with an image labeling pen.
* Choose the pictures. Choose the pictures that best show the theme of your page. Store the others. A beginner should target to have about three pictures per single page.
* Drew the layout and determine the colors. Drew how you want your page elements to be organized and use temporary adhesive so you could move things around. Also, choose coordinating colors that complement the hues in your photos.
* Crop and mat the pictures. Crop your photos to get out superfluous detail. Then design a simple mat, about a quarter-inch wide on all sides, to put under the photos so they stand out on the page.
* Embellish the page. Add life to the scrapbook page with stickers, creative lettering or other 3-D embellishments. Start simple; you want your images to be the main focus.
* Write journal entries. This really is the most important scrapbooking design element since it conveys the details and feelings regarding that moment, which is often forgotten with time. To make journal writing easy, put bullet points to highlight the main events.
* Take a class. Although these pointers will assist you in starting out, take classes to really hone your skills.
Some folks who are interested in scrapbooking art get their training from scrapbooking classes in Warner Springs California but it can be very expensive. Fortunately there are affordable ways to learn the art of professional scrapbooking art in CA.